Just my cup of tea

Originally ran in the July 29, 1971 edition of the Illinois Valley News

Jack and Blanche Whiteman hosted a surprise birthday party at their home for Sam Bunch on his 85th birthday, July 24. Those attending were the honoree and his wife Sophia, Bill Whiteman, son of the Whiteman’s and his wife and 3 children from Cottage Grove. Harry and Effie Smith, and Randall and Jennie Palmer. Blanche baked a 3 tier cake, complete with many candles, which Sam blew out all at once.
Sam was the youngest child of William and Mary Bunch, who had moved from Missouri and were early day settlers in Illinois Valley. Sam was born on the property now owned by James Payne, but was then the family home of the Bunches and later they moved near the Sucker Creek Bridge. Sam is the only one left of his family.
Friends from Reedsport, Pennsylvania, Warren Ernst and his mother Lottie visited Sam and Sophia for a week. They flew part of the way, rented a car for the balance of the trip, then took a plane when returning home. While here they visited Crater Lake and other beauty spots.
John Sailer of Watsonville, Calif. is spending the summer with his grandparents, Ward and Ione Wilson of Holland Loop. He has visited them for several vacations and especially enjoys fishing with his grandfather.
Cliff and Doris Wagner of Cave Junction had company from Marshaltown, Iowa. This was the first time Doris had had the opportunity to meet Cliff’s brother and his wife but all of the family enjoyed the weeks visit.
Other recent visitors of the Wagners were Doris’ sister and husband, Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Millar from Reno, Nev., who stayed for 10 days. They especially like Lake Selmac, where they went often during their visit here.
John and Gladys England also had visitors this summer, her cousin Mrs. Harold Carley, her daughter Joreta and her two children from Oakland, Iowa. The England’s and their relatives all went to Cottage Grove and stayed overnight with Glady’s brother Glen Gillespie.
Gladys went to Irvington, California to attend the wedding of her brother Ernest’s son Dale. She stayed several days with her brother and then Ernest brought her home. Just before the company came, John and Gladys went to Seaside to spend the Fourth of July holiday with their son Clark and his family.